Parliament, on Friday, proposed names of Members of Parliament and Senators set to be conferred with national honours for exemplary work.
If the names are approved, President Uhuru Kenyatta will issue the MPs and Senators with Chief of the Burning Spear (CBS) medals in recognition of their outstanding or distinguished services rendered to the nation.
The awards are issued yearly.
The listed MPs and Senators are:
- James Mathenge Kanini Kega – MP Kieni
- Japhet Miriti Kareke Mbiuki – MP Maara
- Joseph Limo – MP Kipkelion East
- Sophia Abdi Noor – MP Ijara
- Junet Sheikh Nuh – MP Suna East
- Christopher Omulele – MP Luanda
- Millie Odhiambo Mabona – MP Suba North
- Susan Wakarura Kihika – Senator Nakuru
- Aaron Kipkurui Cheruyoit – Senator for Kericho County
- Stewart Madzayo – Senator Kilifi
- Mutula Kilonzo Junior – Senator Makueni
- Michael Sialai Clerk of the National Assembly
- Mohammed Ali Mohammed – Deputy Clerk of the Senate (EBS)
- Jeremiah Walusala Ndombi – Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly (EBS)
Three Parliamentary staff will also receive the CBS award.
- Michael Sialal, EBS, Clerk of the National Assembly
- Mohammed Ali Mohamed, Deputy Clerk of the Senate.
- Jeremiah Walusela Ndombi, Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly.
Every year, the Head of State awards orders, decorations and medals to different people in recognition of their outstanding or distinguished services rendered to the nation in various capacities and responsibilities.
The awards issued include the Order of the Golden Heart of Kenya, the Order of the Burning Spear, the Order of the Grand Warrior of Kenya, the Distinguished Conduct Order, the Distinguished Service Medal and the Silver Star of Kenya. The other is the Head of State’s Commendation in the military and civilian division.
In 2017, Kenyans expressed dissatisfaction on social media after President Uhuru Kenyatta awarded Kamotho Martin aka ‘Githeri Man’, Dennis Itumbi, Robert Alai and Jubilee blogger Pauline Njoroge with state awards.