A man was on Tuesday found dead under mysterious circumstances at Masingo slums within Kakamega town.
The deceased, George Njuguna, was a tout in Kakamega town. According to locals, Mr Njuguna died after he allegedly touched live electricity cables and got electrocuted.
He is alleged to have been drunk at the time of the incident and accidently touched power cables that have been erected around a shop with gambling machines at Masingo area.
However, Njuguna’s colleagues at Kakamega bus station denied claims of electrocution and alleged that he might have been killed elsewhere and dumped at the scene of crime.
“Njuguna was not drunk. In fact, we parted with him around 9pm and he told us he was going to his house. In the morning we woke up to the shocking news that he had died,” said John Wafula a tout.
Mr Wafula said police should help unearth what exactly happened to their colleague saying someone might have been after his life. “He looked disturbed during the day and upon inquiry, he never revealed what was bothering him,” Wafula added.
George Ngunjiri, also a tout, said that some of their friends have died in a similar manner only for their lifeless bodies to be found either dumped in a ditch or a culvert in a lonely path.
Kakamega Central Sub County Police Commander, David Kabena, confirmed the incident saying police have launched investigations into the matter. “We received information from the officers who were on night patrol that an unknown person has been found dead at Masingo area and it was alleged that he had been electrocuted according to those found at the scene of crime,” said Kabena.