The match that many have been waiting for is finally here! The epic clash between tearing giants Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards is slated for Sunday from 3 pm (EAT) at Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani.
Since October 2016, Leopards have never defeated Gor after eight encounters- K’ Ogalo have won seven times with the two sharing the spoils once.
But this weekend could be like no other owing to the improved form of Ingwe. Gor, on the other side, are still steady this season though with a little slump.
The two teams began their rivalry on May 5, 1968 when they first locked horns. Of course, there are renown stars who have featured in the derby before. But it would be prudent to know which player has ever scored most goals in Kenya’s main derby.
In their first meeting this season, Gor Mahia hammered Ingwe 4-1 with a brace from Ivorian forward Gnamien Yikpe and goals apiece via Clifton Miheso and Lawrence Juma while Tresor Ndikumana scored Ingwe’s goal.
But Yikpe is not the top scorer in the mashemeji derby as history tells.
Laban Otieno is the only player to have scored a hat-trick in this fixture during a 5-1 demolition of the then Abaluhya FC in February 1975.
Below are some other file-facts of the derby;
– First derby: 05 May 1968 won by Gor Mahia
– First derby goal scorer for Gor Mahia: William ‘Chege’ Ouma
– First derby goal scorer for AFC: Henry Misango
– First player to get a brace in the derby: William ‘Chege’ Ouma
– First Player and only player to score the derby hat-trick : Laban Otieno, 1975 as Gor wins 5-1
– Biggest derby win: 1975 Gor beats Abaluhya 5-1
Top scorers in the derby:
Top scorers in the derby:
- Sammy Onyango ‘Jogoo’ and Dan Sserunkuma – 6 goals
- Wilberforce Mulamba – 4 goals
10 Players to have scored braces in the derby:
- William ‘Chege’ Ouma – Gor Mahia
- David Asibwa – Abaluhya
- J.J Masiga – AFC Leopards
- Wilberforce Mulamba – AFC Leopards
- Sammy Onyango ‘Jogoo’
- Abass Khamis Magongo – Gor Mahia
- Dan Musuku – AFC Leopards
- Hezron Osuka – Gor Mahia
- Francis Xavier – AFC Leopards
- Danny Sserunkuma – Gor Mahia
- Nicholas Kipkirui- Gor Mahia
- Gnamien Yikpe – Gor Mahia
– Only player to have scored a brace twice: Danny Sserunkuma – Gor Mahia
– Players to have scored in 3 consecutive derbies:
- Abdul Baraza
- Dan Sserunkuma
- Meddie Kagere
– Players to have scored for both teams in the derby:
- David Deo Odhiambo
- Demonde Selenga
Ingwe last victory over K’Ogalo was on March 6, 2016 when Lamine Diallo scored a vital goal for AFC Leopards in a 1-0 triumph at Nyayo Stadium.
Facts from Gor Mahia FC website