There are always moments in your day to day activities you will find yourself picking your nose to remove that annoying boogie. It may be in a public place, in the toilet, your car, bedroom or bathroom. It’s always a relief but disgusting and unhealthy.
Some of the things that lead to nose-pick include; having a dry nose, suffering from a cold, moist nose, allergies, sinuses, and others do it simply out of boredom or nervousness. It’s an addictive behavior and that can be hard to stop.
There are certain reasons why Kenyan men and women need to quit picking their nose;
1. It causes infection. A lot of germs are found in the nails and bacteria which find their way to the nose openings. A recent study was done and published that people who pick their nose are more likely to carry Staphylococcus aureus, a bacterium that is responsible for nasal infections like sinuses and any other serious infections.
2. It damages nasal your nasal septum. This is the bone and cartilage in the nose that separates the nasal cavity into the two nostrils. It’s known to be very fragile and it can lead to nasal swelling and inflammation. The more you pick your nose, it will narrow your nostrils openings.
3. It causes nasal vestibulus. This is an infection in the nasal vestibule which comes due to excessive nose blowing or picking. It can lead to complications like cellulitis(occurs when the infection spreads beneath your skin to other areas of the body). Cavernous sinus thrombosis(space at the base of your brain and behind your eyes.)
4. It can lead to nose bleeding. When digging in your nose for ‘gold’, there is a probability that you will damage tiny blood vessels in the nose that may make your nose bleed.
5. It can make you develop nose pimples. Did you know that the skin inside your nose is like the normal skin? So if you keep picking it, you will end up hurting the skin and develop a condition called folliculitis. It’s a skin condition that becomes flamed due to bacterial infection. Some of the symptoms include small red bumps or white-headed pimples.