The defence team in the case of the slain lawyer Willy Kimani, who was murdered in cold blood alongside his client and taxi driver, now wants the key suspect to swallow his earlier confession implicating himself and police in the murder.
The High Court is on Thursday expected to rule on whether confession by Peter Ngugi will be admitted in court.
Mr Ngugi is the fifth accused person in the case.
The trial will resume before Justice Jessie Lessit at 9.am Thursday.
In the dock are four administration police officers and an informant who allegedly admitted to the 2016 murder of lawyer Kimani and two others.
The Prosecution claims that Ngugi voluntarily confessed to the murder detailing how and where the executions were committed.
The defence wants the confession- both in video and written format – disallowed on grounds that Ngugi is uneducated and was therefore not able to understand what he was made to sign or confess to.
However, the Prosecution says the confession is key to the trial and will assist the court in making a proper determination in the trial.
On February 20 this year, the informant Ngugi, who had been charged with the murder, changed tact and claimed that police officers tricked him.
He alleged that those who testified against him in the Willie Kimani murder case promised to pay him Ksh.200,000 for his business, Ksh.30,000 monthly and give him a good house.
His send-off was emotional as mourners condemn extra judicial killing
He told the court how during his ‘detention’, the officers apparently attached to the DCI headquarters in Kiambu gave him ‘good food and treated him as a protected witness’.
Do you think the defence team is justified in the push to have the suspect’s confession disallowed in court?
Like, post your comment and share below.