Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich has administered drastic actions on monies leaving the Treasury to mitigate the effects of drought and famine.
The embattled CS told a local publication that the ministries concerned will have to withdraw money from their contingency funds to bankroll hunger-relief activities.
“We have given approval to affected ministries to spend. They must be in the stage of processing payments through IFMIS to be charged under contingency fund,” Rotich told journalists.
Deputy President William Ruto had on March 18, announced that Ksh2 billion would be released immediately to supply food and water to starving Kenyans in 12 counties hit by the drought.
Urgent food relief
Issuing an update over the hunger situation, Ruto indicated that although 865,000 people require urgent relief food, the deaths reported in Baringo, Tiaty and Turkana were not drought related.
County governments have also been put on the spot because they were supposed to be the first line of response to mitigate hunger pangs.
Other well-wishers have also made tremendous efforts to intervene in the situation that the government reassured it had a handle on.
Governor Mike Sonko
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, on March 20, released trucks full of foodstuff to Turkana County.
Taking to social media, the governor revealed that he was performing the act to save lives in his capacity as a Good Deeds Ambassador following his appointment towards the end of last year.
In the video, workers from the governor’s rescue team could be seen loading bags of rice weighing more than 3,000kgs with 860 three-litre jerricans of oil destined for Turkana County.
“As a Good Deeds Ambassador, my team is repackaging food and other stuff which will be distributed to Turkana County to save Kenyans who are suffering from hunger,” posted Sonko.