Bungoma County Senator Moses Wetang’ula led Ford Kenya will hold its grassroots elections across the country beginning next week. Wetang’ula on Sunday said the elections will start at the Coast before proceeding to other counties.
He said the polls were decided by the party management at the Nairobi head office.
Wetang’ula said the polls will strengthen his bid for president in 2022.
He spoke in Kanduyi constituency during a delegates meeting.
The Bungoma senator said the polls will be free and fair and will be done in a span of four months.
“In the past, we have been having elections being done in a single day that ended up with people sitting in rooms and homes and giving us fake lists of leaders who are not duly elected,” he said.
Wetang’ula said the party’s MPs, MCAs and two governors will supervise the polls.
He said the party’s resolve on national matters resonates with every other right-thinking mwananchi.
Wetang’ula said Ford-K supports the need to unite Kenyans and to have meaningful peace.
He said there should be no reckless and unhelpful quarrels between leaders and their parties.
“We want to see the government is responsible to everyone and is all inclusive and is serving everyone regardless of their party affiliation, ethnic and religion background,” Wetang’ula said.
He said the party supports the need to audit and edit the Constitution to make sure it serves Kenyans in the manner they are yearning for.
“When we were campaigning for the referendum in 2010 we had two competing camps,” Wetang’ula said.
“One that said 80 per cent of the Constitution was good, let us pass it and amend it later, while the other said 20 per cent was bad let’s rectify it and then pass it. But right now as a country we have reached a level where we must change the bad parts.”
Present at the meeting were Bungoma governor Wycliffe Wangamati Ford Kenya secretary general Eseli Simiyu among others.